Winter is in full swing, and staying warm is essential as the temperatures drop. The Virginia Department of Fire Programs partnered with New Kent Fire-Rescue to showcase best practices when using a fireplace or wood stove to stay warm.
Stay safe and warm by following and sharing the tips in the video and below:
- Maintain a clear zone of at least 3 feet from the fireplace or wood stove.
- Do not burn paper in your fireplace or wood stove as paper burns very quickly and can float up the chimney and possibly ignite.
- Use a glass or metal screen in front of the fireplace to help prevent embers or sparks from jumping out.
- Be sure to put the fire out before you go to sleep or leave your home.
- Put spent ashes in a metal container with a lid, outside at least 10 feet from your home.
- Finally, have your chimney inspected and cleaned each year by a professional.