Cold winter temperatures bring a chill to the air, often accompanied by frost, snow and icy conditions. As temperatures drop, it’s essential to layer up for warmth and insulate homes and take precautions to prevent freezing pipes and other cold related problems.
- Insulate pipes: Use pipe insulation or heating tape on exposed pipes.
- Seal Leaks: Seal any gaps or cracks in walls and around windows and doors to prevent cold air from entering.
- Keep Faucets Dripping: Allow a small trickle of water to flow through faucets to prevent pipes from freezing.
- Maintain Heating: Keep your home heated, especially during very cold weather.
- Open Cabinet Doors: In extreme weather, open cabinet doors under sinks to allow warm air to reach pipes.
- Disconnect Garden Hoses: Drain and disconnect outdoor hoses to prevent freezing.
- Insulate Attic and Crawl Spaces: Proper insulations helps maintain a warmer environment in your home.
Taking these precautions helps protect your home and plumbing from freezing temperatures and keep you and your loved ones safe this winter season. For more information, please refer to this informational graphic by clicking here.